Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fog


Yep, I like this town. Unfortunately, the fog was really thick today, so I didn't get to see any of the breathtaking views that it is famous for. I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll get to see a little on my way out of town, but the forecast is calling for rain. There's a reason there are high and low tourist seasons.

I'm back at my hotel now, and in about half an hour I'm going to dinner with some of the Umbra staff. There are two American girls who studied abroad here and liked it so much they decided to stay, and one Italian guy who is planning to move to the U.S. I had coffee with a DU student and got her take on the program. It's interesting to see the two sides. On the one hand, students are inspiring because you realize that their experience is what the whole thing is about. On the other hand, I forget sometimes how brutal they can be. Just critical in general, and I guess I tend to feel defensive of the program because I understand how difficult things can be to administer (and the program bought me lunch). It was a good reminder to take everything with a grain of salt, anyway.

I bought some chocolate today from what is supposedly the best chocolatier in Perugia. Who knows, maybe you'll be lucky enough to get some? :) Whoever comments the most often on my blog is a sure winner.

5 comments:

  1. Be careful what you ask for.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolatier. Now that's a job I never heard mentioned on "career day" in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Michelle, I was thinking of you when I bought one "con peperoncini" - with a little spice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Students can be brutal, but I have taught at Wellesley and at 3 campuses of the Colorado Community College system, and the CC students are 10 times more appreciative! Sometimes not being the one paying for what they get makes kids a bit snotty. Keep your defenses up!

    ReplyDelete